Thursday, March 31, 2011

day seventy one: 20

'buy or make some clay and then use it like you never have before.'

i bought this stuff a few months ago - it's called paper clay. you mold it just like regular clay but it air dries and dried to a paper mache like consistency. my landlord, her friend, my mom & i had a small little craft day today so i thought it would be a good opportunity to make my snail. i've never really worked with clay - some when i was younger but not a lot. i used wax carving tools to help me with the swirl of the shell and hand molded the body. it needs to air dry for 3-4 days so i didn't paint him yet but i will post a picture as soon as i do! the shell isn't connected to the body so i will have to find some type of glue also. any tips?

3 comments:

  1. Cant wait to see this painted! I like the wired eyes. Could you attach the pieces using more of the clay, maybe slightly wetter as paste? Other option is a general holdfast glue like a wood glue?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks awesome. I like the wire detail too.
    How ironic, I bought some air dry clay this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. zennic - they won't stick together by just wetting them...even fresh out of the package it's hard to get 2 pieces to stick or even mix together. i think i'll just have to use the wood glue.

    ReplyDelete